FICCI Committee Against Smuggling and Counterfeiting Activities Destroying Economy (CASCADE)
In the recent past India’s economic growth story has attracted world’s attention bringing new challenges for the domestic economy. One of the challenges currently faced is the growing illicit trade in counterfeits, pass offs and smuggled goods. Counterfeits, pass offs and smuggled goods are also threatening brands not only in every region of the country but is widespread in the world. Contraband and counterfeit products hurt the integrity of the brand and further dilute the brand owner’s reputation. This not only results in erosion of sales of the legitimate product but by further [CASCADE]s onto affect the consumers in the form of health and safety hazards.
With the above insight the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) took the initiative to dedicate a forum by establishing the Committee Against Smuggling and Counterfeiting Activities Destroying Economy – CASCADE on 18th January, 2011 at FICCI Federation House, New Delhi.
- Generating awareness on the hazardous impact of smuggled, contraband and counterfeit products amongst consumers and citizens.
- Capacity building of law enforcement agencies including Judges, Police and Customs Officers.
- Research and proposing law reforms
- Interactions with the law enforcement authorities to emphasize on the importance of continued awareness and seriousness of the impact of counterfeit goods.
- Enforcement of IP related laws
- Systematic dissemination of enforcement techniques, procedure and strategy through regular workshops for the guidance of its members
- Sharing the best practices followed globally for combating contraband, smuggled and counterfeit product
- Provide knowledge support to the industry members