Launch of Committee Against Smuggling and Counterfeiting Activities Destroying the Economy (CASCADE)
18/1/2012 | FICCI Federation House, New Delhi
In the recent past India’s economic growth story has attracted world’s attention bringing new challenges for thedomestic economy. One of the challenges currently faced is the growing illicit trade in counterfeits, pass offs andsmuggled goods. These activities are also threatening brands not only in every region of the country but acrossthe globe. Contraband and counterfeit products hurt the integrity of the brand, further diluting the brandowner’s reputation. This not only results in erosion of sales of the legitimate product but further [CASACADE]sonto affect the consumers in the form of health and safety hazards.
With the above insight the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) took the initiativeto dedicate a forum by establishing the Committee Against Smuggling and Counterfeiting Activities Destroyingthe Economy – CASCADE on 18th January, 2011 at FICCI Federation House, New Delhi.
- To put the issue of smuggled, contraband and counterfeit products high on the social agenda
- To generate and spread awareness on the hazardous impact of smuggled, contraband and counterfeit
- To interact with the law enforcement authorities to emphasize on the importance of continued awareness and seriousness of the impact of smuggled and counterfeit goods
- To achieve a high “issue recall” on anti-smuggling and anti-counterfeiting in the minds of consumers and tosensitize the supply chain personnel towards the harm that smuggled, contraband and counterfeitproducts cause and to emphasize the importance of their role in grappling with the social issue
- To engage in systematic assimilation and dissemination of enforcement techniques, procedures and strategies for the guidance of its members through various interactive events
- To commission research and propose law and policy reforms to Government and other relevant stakeholders through knowledge papers, report, studies on issues related to counterfeiting and smuggling
- To provide a platform for sharing the best practices followed globally for combating contraband, smuggled and counterfeit products
- To engage in capacity building activities for the benefit of law enforcement agencies and other CASCADE stakeholders including Judicial, Police and Customs Officers
- To tap into initiatives of various international fora such as ICC BASCAP, WIPO Advisory Committee on Enforcement, WCO and others to identify existing gaps in India and building synergies in collaborative mode
- To study and have full appreciation of the enforcement initiatives of developed countries as well as developing countries
- To assist the Government in formulating its response to regional and multilateral agreements and model laws being proposed by international organizations such as INTA, WIPO, WCO etc
- To assist the Government of India in formulating its position in ongoing bilateral negotiations having an impact on enforcement issues related to counterfeiting and smuggling Networking
- To work in synergy with other foreign institutions and bodies working in the realm of anti-counterfeiting and anti-smuggling
- To identify and facilitate CASCADE stakeholders to network with legal services providers and investigators who have excellent relationships in the local law enforcement machinery and who have consistently delivered high yield counterfeiting raids across India
FICCI-CASCADE Seminar on ‘Curbing Counterfeiting and Smuggling – An Imperative for Indian Economy, Tamil Nadu
22/2/2013 | Tamil Nadu The 8th consultation at Chennai brought experts to...